VisualSVN Server 4.0 is available under three different licenses:
- Community license (free). This free and fully functional license enables core VisualSVN Server features such as the VisualSVN Server Manager MMC console, PowerShell Scripting and Automation, rich HTML5-powered web interface and support for secure HTTPS. The free Community license is available for commercial use and allows creating up to 15 Subversion user accounts.
- Essential license (paid). This license allows using all features of the Community license and adds additional features such as Scheduled Backup Jobs and Multisite Repository Replication (VDFS). The cost of the license depends on the maximum number of users and the VDFS repositories allowed by the license.
- Enterprise license (paid). This license allows using all features of the Essential license and adds enterprise-grade features such as Windows authentication (including Active Directory Single Sign-On), Remote Server Administration, Access and Operational Logging and so on. The cost of the license depends on the maximum number of users and the VDFS repositories allowed by the license.
The complete license comparison matrix is as follows.
|Available for commercial use||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Maximum users||15||5 - 200||10 - unlimited|
|Maximum VDFS repositories||1 - 25||10 - unlimited|
|HTML5-powered Web Interface||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|PowerShell Scripting and Automation||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Multisite Repository Replication||Yes||Yes|
|Active Directory Single Sign-On||Yes|
|Repository Management Delegation||Yes|
|Access and Operational Logging||Yes|
|Remote Server Administration||Yes|
You can see the current prices for the Essential and Enterprise licenses on the Licensing page.
The server may also be evaluated for free by using the Evaluation license. This license may be obtained by starting the evaluation in the VisualSVN Server Manager console or via the Evaluation Request form (no registration required). The Evaluation license allows an unlimited number of users and distributed VDFS repositories and it allows using all VisualSVN Server features without limitations.
Maximum users allowed by the license
The number of users allowed to access the server depends on the license type:
- For free Community license, this number is limited to 15 different Subversion users.
- For paid Essential and Enterprise licenses, the user limit depends solely on the chosen size of your license. Available license sizes and their prices are listed on the Licensing page.
The number of users that counts towards the limit is evaluated slightly different for Subversion and Windows authentication modes. For Subversion authentication, it is the number of user accounts created on the server. For Windows authentication, it is the number of users that have accessed the server during the last 30 days. Read the article KB148: How VisualSVN Server 4.0 calculates the number of active users for more information.
Maximum VDFS repositories allowed by the license
VisualSVN Server does not limit the number of regular non-distributed FSFS repositories on the server. But the maximum allowed number of distributed VDFS repositories is limited according to the license type:
- Free Community license does not allow creating distributed VDFS repositories because it does not allow using the Multisite Repository Replication feature.
- Paid Essential and Enterprise licenses have preconfigured limits on the number of distributed VDFS repositories. These limitations and license cost depend on the chosen license size. Available license sizes and their prices are listed on the Licensing page.
License compatibility with VisualSVN Server 3.9 and older
The pre-4.0 Enterprise Edition licenses with an active maintenance subscription are treated as new Enterprise 4.0 licenses with an unlimited number of users and VDFS repositories. Therefore, the upgrade to VisualSVN Server 4.0 is fully transparent for VisualSVN Server Enterprise Edition installations that have a license key with an active maintenance subscription.
Please read the article KB147: How the licensing model changes in VisualSVN Server 4.0 for more information about compatibility of the new and old licensing models.