VisualSVN Server 4.1 Release Notes
VisualSVN Server 4.1 provides the following notable enhancements:
- Pack Repository background job. This new scheduled background job allows to pack repositories on a regular basis. Packing reduces the number of files on disk and therefore reduces storage and maintenance overhead. For further information and configuration instructions please consider the article KB156: Getting started with Pack Repository Jobs.
- Side-by-side diff for images in the web interface. New side-by-side diff for images in the web interface makes it possible to preview image differences without leaving the web browser.
- TLS 1.3 protocol support. TLS 1.3 is the most recent version of the HTTP encryption protocol that provides enhanced security, performance and privacy compared to the previous versions. VisualSVN Server now fully supports this version of the protocol and enables it by default. Note that TLS 1.3 will be actually used only if it is supported by the client.
- New Enterprise Multinode license. The new license type is suitable for multinode VisualSVN Server deployments. If you use the Multisite Repository Replication feature and have several VisualSVN Server instances connected within a single distributed VDFS cluster, you can now purchase a single Enterprise Multinode license and use it on all these server instances. This option is cost-effective, and it also simplifies deployment and licensing-related maintenance tasks.
For the complete list of changes, see the VisualSVN Server 4.1.0 changelog.
Upgrade to VisualSVN Server 4.1 is recommended for all users. Upgrade is easy and straightforward, but we strongly advise reading the KB152: Upgrading to VisualSVN Server 4.1 article beforehand (especially if you are upgrading from VisualSVN Server 3.9 or older versions).
Updates to PowerShell Cmdlets
The new release adds a capability to deploy and manage the Repository Management Delegation feature via PowerShell and deprecates two existing cmdlets.
- It is now possible to deploy and manage the Repository Management Delegation feature using the Get-SvnRepository, Set-SvnRepository, Get-SvnServerConfiguration, and Set-SvnServerConfiguration cmdlets.
- Get-SvnRepositoryReplication and Set-SvnRepositoryReplication cmdlets have been deprecated. Their functionality has been merged into Get-SvnRepository and Set-SvnRepository cmdlets.
For the complete list of PowerShell cmdlets available in VisualSVN Server 4.1, see the KB88: VisualSVN Server PowerShell Cmdlet Reference.
Upgrade and compatibility concerns
Upgrade to VisualSVN Server 4.1 is recommended for all users. Please read the KB152: Upgrading to VisualSVN Server 4.1 article before upgrading.
The upgrade is free for all customers who have active maintenance subscription for Enterprise or Essential licenses. The upgrade is also free for all customers who use VisualSVN Server under the Community license.