VisualSVN Server 5.2 Release Notes
This version adds support for showing effective access permissions, password guessing attack protection capabilities, scheduled backup verification and several other enhancements.
Highlights of this release
- Effective access permissions
- Password guessing attack protection
- Scheduled verification of repository backups
- More enhancements
Effective access permissions
Effective access permissions are the resultant access permissions that a specified user has to a specified path, based on the combined effect of all the applicable access rules set in VisualSVN Server.
The new feature makes it easier for the administrator to check whether the access rules are configured correctly and produce the intended result. It can be helpful for auditing and troubleshooting purposes.
Password guessing attack protection
VisualSVN Server 5.2 adds a feature that protects user credentials from password guessing attacks, such as brute-force or dictionary attacks. It works by temporarily blocking requests from IP addresses that fail to authenticate multiple times within a short period of time.
Scheduled verification of repository backups
VisualSVN Server administrators can now create 'Verify Backup' jobs for automatic verification of repository backups. This kind of job verifies that backups created by backup jobs are readable and restorable.
A few other notable improvements in this version are listed below:
- Significantly improved repository backup performance. VisualSVN Server 5.2 creates backups up to 5 times faster and with a lower CPU usage, although with a slightly reduced compression ratio.
- Added an option to specify the size of the private key for the TLS/SSL server certificate.
- Revamped the full/incremental backup job scheme selection in VisualSVN Server Manager.
runhook subcommand to launch arbitrary programs, with the
--no-waitoption for asynchronous execution.
check-logmessagehook subcommand now supports regular expression matching with the
Upgrading to new version
Upgrading to VisualSVN Server 5.2 is recommended for all users. Please read the KB214: Upgrading to VisualSVN Server 5.2 article before upgrading.
The upgrade is free for all customers who have an active maintenance subscription for the Enterprise or Essential licenses. The upgrade is also free for all customers who use VisualSVN Server under the Community license.