- Revision Numbers Are Different Now
- Directory Versions
- More Disconnected Operations
- Distinction Between Status and Update
- Branches and Tags
- Metadata Properties
- Conflict Resolution
- Binary Files and Translation
- Versioned Modules
- Converting a Repository from CVS to Subversion
This appendix is a guide for CVS users new to Subversion. It's essentially a list of differences between the two systems as “viewed from 10,000 feet.” For each section, we provide references to relevant chapters when possible.
Although the goal of Subversion is to take over the current and future CVS user base, some new features and design changes were required to fix certain “broken” behaviors that CVS had. This means that, as a CVS user, you may need to break habits—ones that you forgot were odd to begin with.