The usual approach to deploying VDFS slave repositories is to create empty slaves and let VDFS service to replicate all the repository data from the master in the background. However, this approach may not work well for huge repositories, especially when the network bandwidth is relatively low. To solve this problem, VisualSVN Server provides an alternative approach — deploying slave VDFS repositories using the replication seeds.
The replication seed is an initial snapshot of the slave repository that can be delivered to a target slave site by using removable media or other means of data transfer. The process of deploying slave VDFS repository using the replication seed consists of the following main steps:
- Export the VDFS replication seed repository on the master server computer.
- Copy the VDFS replication seed to the slave server.
- Import the VDFS replication seed on the slave server computer.
Export the VDFS replication seed
Follow these steps to export the replication seed on the master server computer:
- Start the VisualSVN Server Manager console.
- Expand the Repositories node.
- Right-click the repository you want to export and click All Tasks | Export Repository.
- Select the Export replication seed option and click Next.
- Adjust the export options if needed and click Export.
The replication seed will become available in the destination directory you specify in the export wizard.
Copy the VDFS replication seed to the slave server
At this step, you should copy the replication seed to the slave server computer. You could use removable media or other means of data transfer to deliver the replication seeds to the target slave server. For example, copy the replication seed to a portable drive or a USB flash drive and deliver it to the slave site.
Import the VDFS replication seed
Follow these steps to import the replication seed on the slave server computer:
- Start VisualSVN Server Manager.
- Right-click the Repositories node and select Import Existing Repository.
- Select Copy repository from another location and click Next.
- Specify the location of the replication seed and click Next.
- Specify the name of the destination slave repository and click Import.
- Click Finish after the import has been successfully completed. The specified replication seed will be copied into the repositories root folder and will be available under Repositories node in VisualSVN Server Manager.