Applies to: VisualSVN Server 5.0 and later
VisualSVN Search Index Service is the service that manages the search index used by the full-text search feature. By default, the system built-in Network Service account is used to run the VisualSVN Search Index Service and all the required permissions are assigned automatically during installation.
The VisualSVN Search Index Service can be configured to run under a dedicated account to improve isolation or if custom permissions are needed to access the repositories.
List of permissions that should be granted manually
The following permissions should be granted manually to run the VisualSVN Search Index Service under a custom account:
Readshare permissions in addition to the NTFS permissions. See KB22: Storing repositories on a network share for details.
Running the service under a dedicated account
Perform the following steps to configure the VisualSVN Search Index Service to run under a dedicated user account:
- Create the dedicated account. It can be a local or domain account depending on your security model.
- Grant the required permissions to the dedicated account.
- Configure VisualSVN Search Index Service to run under the dedicated account:
- Open the Services snap-in by clicking Start and selecting Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services.
- Locate and right-click VisualSVN Search Index Service and select Properties.
- Select the Log On tab.
- Select This account and specify the account name and password.
- Click OK to apply changes.
- Restart the service using the Restart command from the service shortcut menu (or start the service using the Start command if it is stopped).