Most of VisualSVN commands become inoperable after upgrading to a newer version of TortoiseSVN. One of the following error messages is displayed when you are trying to execute VisualSVN commands such as Commit or Update.
In VisualSVN 2.0.2 or older:
In VisualSVN 2.0.3 or newer:
TortoiseSVN integration with Windows Explorer also does not work: context menu commands and icon overlays are not shown in Windows Explorer.
The problem is caused by a known bug in the TortoiseSVN installation package. After upgrading from any version up to 1.6.9 to the version 1.6.10 or newer, TortoiseSVN's components become incorrectly registered in the system. This makes VisualSVN unable to find TortoiseSVN binaries. For further details please refer to the Problems with upgrading article on the official TortoiseSVN web site.
As it said before, the problem occurs after upgrading from any version up to 1.6.9 to the version 1.6.10 or newer. For example, the problem reproduces when you upgrade from the version 1.6.9 to the version 1.6.15. The problem occurs only once and you will not experience it during upgrade from the version 1.6.10 or newer.
To fix the problem you should repair TortoiseSVN installation with the following steps:
- Restart the TortoiseSVN installation package (the same version that you used to upgrade to).
- Click the Next button to proceed to the next page.
- Click the Repair button to select the repair installation mode.
- On the next page click the Repair button to start repairing.
- When repair completed, click the Finish button.
- Restart computer to apply the changes.
As an alternative solution for this problem you can completely uninstall and then reinstall TortoiseSVN on your computer.